As the audiovisual media regulator with federal powers in the Brussels-Capital Region, BIPT carries out different checks of the programmes it authorised, by virtue of the Act of 5 May 2017.
As regards programme content, these checks monitor:
- regard for the human dignity, more in particular the fight against discrimination, hatred or violence (art. 11 and 17, § 1, 1°), commercial audiovisual communications included (art. 14, 3°-4°);
- the protection of minors at a physical, mental and moral level (art. 17, § 1, 2°), individual commercial communications included (art. 14, § 1, 7°);
- the regard for impartiality in information and journalistic deontology (art. 10).
As regards a balanced programming, BIPT also monitors compliance with:
- the proportion of European works (art. 21, § 1 and 29), specifically recent works by independent producers (art. 21, § 2);
- the place reserved for televised advertising and teleshopping (art. 14 and 22 § 2);
- requirements regarding sponsored audiovisual programmes (art. 15);
- requirements regarding product placement (art. 16).